La Casa Giacobbe

banner testata5

Menu

La Casa Giacobbe

La Casa

casagiacobbe1


The first news date back to 1664, in 1723 the first cadastral plan was outlined where an area dedicated to the garden was highlighted. The following cadastral drawing in 1854 spotlighted the location of the building, to the limit of the inhabited area and nearby the railway line Milan-Turin, stage of the travel inaugurating the junction of the two sections on 1st June 1859. The peripheral location of the villa, at the entrance of the village is strategic, its pinnacle dominates the railway line, the railway station and the roads to Boffalora and Marcallo, and it represented one of the cornerstones of the Austro-Hungarian defence lines during the battle fought on 4th June 1859. Here, General Espinasse, leading his attacking Zouaves, was injured to death by the Kaiserjäger occupying the villa. The damages caused by the fights in 1859 are still visible today: the façade towards the garden, riddled with bullets, has been indeed maintained as it was as glorious memory of the battle. The lawyer Giacobbe commissioned Giacomo Campi, painter, to decorate the porch of the villa with a painting cycle telling the Campaign of ‘59. The work was finished, as documented by the writing, in 1897. The same artist is author of the paintings of the fireplace “Il brindisi della riconciliazione” (Toast to reconciliation) and the allegory of the “Unità d’Italia” (the unification of Italy) painted after 1918. The first patriotic museum was commissioned by Gianfranco Giacobbe in 1921, after the death of his son, Giovanni Giacobbe donated the Battle’s memorabilia to the town of Magenta. In 1931 the podestà Giuseppe Brocca, entrusted the precious memories to the Museo del Risorgimento of Milan. In 1935 Magenta municipality purchased the villa.

Le Immagini

Pagina in costruzione

Geolocalizzazione

{hotspots hotspot=9}